This beautiful landmark: Our Lady of Guadalupe Church (Iglesia de Nuestra Senora de Guadalupe), is San Francisco Landmark #204 and is part of the Mills Act program. The former Roman Catholic church dates back to 1912 and was designed by architects Frank T. Shea and John D. Lofquist in the Mission Revival style.
Originally completed in 1880 then destroyed by the 1906 earthquake and fire. A reconstructed Church was consecrated on April 14, 1912 being among the first churches in the country to be constructed of reinforced concrete which was considered an innovative construction technology at that time.
Reminiscent of certain Colonial churches in Mexico and South America and earlier precedents in Spain and Portugal, the Church is characterized by a simplicity of form. Round or basket arches, twin towers, topped by gold crosses serve as prominent features of the stucco facades. The Church has a recessed, rectangular main entry surrounded by a round arched secondary entry on the west, and a rectangular bay with basket arched openings on the east. At the second floor, a central rose window surmounted by a mosaic figure is flanked on both sides by arched niches containing sculpted figures.
The entire church, including the ceiling, is covered with paintings in classical style. The illustration of the Last Supper shows a rich variety of facial expressions. The positioning of the figures indicates a superior grouping of frescos seldom seen in this country, according to some critics. The frescos were completed in 1916. The faces of the angels on the ceiling were modeled after members of the children's choir. These paintings are the work of Luigi Brusaton, an Italian immigrant born in 1885.
The Church also contains a 24 set pipe mechanical Hook and Hastings organ, built in Boston, MA in 1888. It is attributed to be the only extant mechanical organ in San Francisco which has been designated as a Landmark by the National Historical Organ Society which is headquartered in Boston, MA.
906.World Cultural Center
Located in a cherished and venerable landmark building, known as Our Lady of Guadalupe Church, 906 World Cultural Center (906 World) is a new nonprofit uniting the diverse community through arts, education, and culture.
We are dedicated to improving the quality of life for neighbors by offering classes, workshops, and community gatherings focused on personal wellness and professional development.
This recently restored landmark was abandoned for 25+ years. We reopened and reactivated it to preserve its legacy and serve the community:
Adult education: 906.World believes that accessible adult education is essential to helping unemployed or underemployed people acquire the skills needed to get the competitive advantage in the job market. In our six classrooms, we will offer part-time and full-time courses in design, marketing, public relations, coding, entrepreneurship, leadership, multimedia studies, art, technology and finance.
Community engagement: This historic neighborhood landmark has hosted many people over the years. 906.World follows this tradition and will continue to open the doors to the public for community gatherings and events, from book clubs to art exhibits and much more.